My clients are always asking what they should wear for their shoot. Here are some of my favorite do’s:
- Generally, I recommend outfits that are within the same “color family,” but not too matchy-matchy. For instance, you could go with earth tones, pastels, brights, warm colors, cool colors or neutrals.
- I recommend not wearing pure black. However, black with polka dots or stripes works well. Ivory or cream colored clothing is great too.
- Don’t be afraid to mix patterns, as long as they are within the same color story. Don’t go overboard though 😉
- It helps to have an inspiration piece to pull colors from. For instance, Mom could wear a scarf that incorporates 2 or 3 accent colors. That scarf will tie everyone’s outfits together.
- And last but not least, props! Pinterest is a great spot for inspiration. Parasols, balloons, tiny chairs, and cute blankets all make great accessories.
And of course, here are some don’ts:
- Colors I do not recommend include black and neons. Neither are picked up well by the camera.
- Do not wear clothing with prominent logos, they are very distracting.
Here are some of my favorite examples from recent shoots. I hope they inspire you!